COVID-19 IT & Cyber Security Risks Checklist
How secure is your IT environment now?
At Mazars we have developed a high level IT Operations and Security Checklist focused at both IT Managers and Senior Management giving them the ability to conduct a quick 15 minute review in order to identify any weaknesses in their current IT operations and Security
Like most employees across Ireland, you are probably reading this article whilst working remotely from home due to the COVID-19 virus.
The outbreak of the COVID-19 virus has forced organisations of all sizes to change their working practices and embrace remote working. Many are, however, not fully aware of the new ICT and Cyber Security risks that working from home introduces. And as a result, are leaving themselves and their data exposed. The main ICT risk areas include:
- Policy Communication and User Awareness
- Data Privacy and Compliance
- Remote Access Security
- Endpoint Device Security
- IT Management and Monitoring
- Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Planning
Currently most organisations are working on a daily or weekly strategy. However, as we do not know the full extent of COVID-19 now is the time for organisations to start identifying their long-term ICT requirements and developing plans to ensure that these requirements are adequately addressed.
Current trends have already identified a significant increase in cyber security attacks on organisations since COVID-19 outbreak. Such attacks include:
- Sophisticated phishing emails enticing users to click on links and disclose security information or install malicious software.
- Exploitation of security vulnerabilities of organisations remote access solutions and firewalls where known security vulnerabilities have not been adequately patched
- Increase in malware attacks. As most organisations are working with a scaled down IT team, cyber criminals are taking advantage of reduced security monitoring.
Whilst we have not seen denial of service attacks recently in Ireland, due to organisation dependence on the internet whilst working remotely it is envisaged that this method of attack will be used as a type of ransomware.
Want to know more?
We can help
COVID-19 Supporting your Business
The Covid-19 pandemic is causing uncertainty and disruption around the world. Mazars priorities are to protect people and ensure business continuity and service for our clients.
Mazars consulting is a specialist unit within the Mazars group with an expertise spanning a wide range of areas We operate globally and thus have close links with our international counterparts frequently liaising with them on assignments.
Governance, Risk & Internal Control
The Mazars risk management and governance team will provide you with specialist advice to provide you with greater assurance over the management of organisational risks.