Key professionals involved in the Mazars Optimize programme, speaking of the challenges currently...
Report - How to Optimize mid-sized businesses
Discover our key findings into how mid-sized companies improve performance & enhance value, gathered from our research into the financial data of European businesses over the last four years, in this in-depth report.
Mid-sized businesses are vital to Europe’s economy. They deliver key products and services and provide employment for many millions of workers. They are also a vital cog in the wider economy. They support smaller and larger enterprises, promote innovation and build long-term capital value for their owners.
Mazars has supported the growth of mid-sized companies for many years, and we take a deep interest in what really drives this key segment of the market. To further our understanding, we analysed the financial data from 72,000 European mid-market companies over a four year period from 2012 to 2015, assessing them both by business model and by four key performance indicators which determine a company’s long-term sustainability and capital value – its profitability, return, liquidity and strength.
Our key findings include:
- There is considerable variation in the performance of Europe’s middle market companies, with a large gap between the best and worst performers within all business models.
- The type of business model adopted, and its position in the marketplace, have a significant influence on a company’s performance.
- Most businesses have extremely low levels of liquidity.
- The performance of a business can be significantly improved in the space of four years, with almost half of the poorest performing companies moving up one or two tiers over this time.
- IP-owning businesses have the highest return on total assets, with the best-performing companies in this category having a return on assets of at least 22 percent.
Please download our in-depth report below for access to all of our findings, and our recommendations for helping mid-sized companies to achieve their full potential.
Detailed Information on Optimize
At Mazars we have experienced first-hand what it takes to build a successful business by working extensively with entrepreneurial businesses.
Examples of how the Optimize programme has already benefited some businesses with interviews given by key members of the businesses in question.
The entrepreneurial business environment is constantly changing. Business leaders and management teams face significant challenges from disruptive competition, talent wars, technology, regulatory changes and other critical factors.